Thursday, November 23, 2006

Much to be thankful for

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. None of the pressures and tensions that come with other holidays. A day when you can kick back with family and/or friends and eat comfort food. What could be better?

This year, however, it's more than that. This year has been a difficult one for Dan and me -- stuck in limbo as we waited for the referral on the adoption to come through and my mother's death in August -- but now that Cha Jiao has entered our lives, I realize how fortunate I am -- to have health, family and friends, other comforts of daily living that I take for granted. Thinking of Cha Jiao, I feel incredibly fortunate and am transported, uplifted, gleeful -- a frame of mind I highly recommend.

This past week was Cha Jiao's first birthday. I've posted a couple of photos of the guest of honor, the so-called "fridge shots":


We lit a cupcake or two and I hoped that wherever she is she's enjoying herself and being loved and well cared for. (Little does she know of her fan club on the other side of the planet!)

I thought also of her birth parents and my heart went out to them. I hope they were able to get through the day and particularly the following one, when Cha Jiao was found at the Bureau of Civil Affairs.

I am thankful for many things today but especially that Cha Jiao has come into Dan's and my lives. Happy Turkey Day, everyone!

-- Meg

1 comment:

Karen said...

Happy Birthday, Cha Jaio! Sam's first birthday was also before he came home. I feel for his birth parents so often. I hope, somehow, they can sense that your little girl is already loved by an amazing family. Happy Thanksgiving to you!!